Monday, November 24, 2014

10 Things You Should Say to Your Best Friends Right Now

 

Everyone has that select group of girls that they rely on most to make it through life. From everyday struggles like putting on liquid eyeliner, to the bigger things like relationships and school, your girlfriends are your go to. They understand how hard it is to force yourself to wake up earlier just to shave your legs, and they don't judge you if you chose sleep instead. Like Meredeth and Christina, we all have "our person" and if we are lucky, we have a few of them!

They are the girls that your significant other knows simply come as a package deal. They are the the ones who will listen to you sob while drinking straight from a bottle of wine, with Adele playing in the background. They hold your hair. They do your makeup. They tell you when you are a hot mess. They are an extension of who you are.

You begin to form your own language of sarcasm, knowing looks, and odd noises that somehow come together to create perfect communication. You create nicknames for people around you. Your world is sacred and others just simply don't understand.

So here are a few things you need to say to your best friends...like right now!

1. I love you more than a fat kid loves cake.
Unless the cake is really good and I was really hungry. But most of the time, yeah-- I would choose you over cake. I love you because you understand my need to binge on Netflix and Megastuffed Oreos. You know about my odd obsession with Mama Mia and choose to spend time with me anyway. You also know that if I'm still alone at 40 I'm coming to live with you. Hope your hubs has the spare room ready. I love you because you bring out the best in me. Except that one time at Delta Chi, but we don't speak of that. I also love you because you guard my secrets like they are your own. (Right? Okay good.)

2. I also hate you a little though.
As my best friend I hate you sometimes. Like when you cancel plans. Or when you don't answer my snapchat that was super witty. Mostly because even though you bring out the best in me, you have also seen me at my worst, which is something I struggle with. It gives me anxiety that another human knows about my deepest fears, and my worst decisions. You know me better than I know myself, and because of this, you call me on my bullshit all the time.

3. Thank you for calling me on my bullshit.
Thank you for your ability to recognize that I am simply projecting my anxiety about my ex onto a new man. Thank you for telling me that I am using said man to distract myself and push my fears about graduating aside. Only a best friend can listen to you complain, on the verge of mental breakdown, and analyze what you said, and tell you what you are really thinking. It's a rare gift and you should appreciate it.


4. I can always count on your for a good laugh.
"That's what she said"s are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to our jokes.  Inappropriate? Yes. Necessary? I think yes again. I can always count on you to have a funny text, or stupid grin on your face when I need it most. On those days that I can't remember what it is like to be happy, you come waltzing in with white zinfandel and Iliza Schlesinger quotes and turn my mood around completely. It's a miraculous thing.

5. If you need to murder ANYONE...I've got you.
Remember that time we ate dinner, drank margaritas, and created a detailed plan in case either one of us needed to commit a murder? I mean down to the nitty gritty things, like what music we would play in the background, and what actresses would play us when they created a  movie about it. Mary Anne and Wanda style. Thelma and Louise. Bring it on world--bad bitches coming through. *cue music*

6. Thanks for keeping the not-so-important promises.
Any friend can keep a promise that is important. Like, don't tell that boy I think he's cute. Or, promise you'll get coffee with me Friday. But only a best friend remembers the little things. Like the fact that they promised if they saw your ex while driving they would flip him off. Sure it sounds great, but your best friend will follow through with it, and make sure to tell you about it as soon as they see you because they know it will make you laugh.

7. I would totally switch teams for you. 
(Okay not really, but think about how much easier life would be)
Really...we just get each other <3


8. Thank you for handling my mental breakdowns.
Like that time we were at the bar and the guy I was into was ignoring me...you came with me to get some air, took my face in your hands and said, "You don't need him. You are beautiful. You don't see the heads you turn but I do. And I'm not just saying this because I am your best friend. I'm saying it because you are oblivious to the fact that you are a head turner." Or some scenario pretty similar to that.

9. I'm sorry.
I'm sorry we lost touch for a while. I'm sorry I wasn't more understanding when you got back together with the guy who cheated on you (man that bit me in the ass huh?) I'm sorry I didn't tell you about *insert personal story here* sooner. I'm sorry about that time you were struggling with depression and I pushed you away because I wasn't strong enough to keep both of us above the water. I'm sorry I stole your hair tie and never gave it back. You have to love me anyway.

10. I will never forget you.
Even if we haven't spoken in years (which is NOT going to happen) and have families and grown-up jobs, I will never forget the time we had together. Time spent crying, laughing, singing, dancing...not one minute of it will be lost on me! Countless hours getting ready to go out. Sitting at bars hoping to get asked to dance. Walking to class. Lunch dates. Birthdays. Boyfriends that were jerks, and the ones that are here to stay. Every memory we shared and are still sharing together is one that will be forever tattooed on my heart. You were there through all of those years that have had such a huge impact on the woman I am today. You helped shape me. And I will never forget that.
*hugs*
 Love you guys. Here's to the rest of our lives!

-L

No comments:

Post a Comment